KIOXIA Releases Latest KumoScale Software Suite, Enables Next-Gen Cloud Deployments
Version 3.14 Delivers Enhanced Utilization, Capacity Management and Reliability to Networked NVMe Flash at Data Center Scale
SAN JOSE, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#KumoScale—KIOXIA America, Inc. (formerly Toshiba Memory America, Inc.) has introduced a new version of its KumoScale™ storage software based on NVM Express™ over Fabrics (NVMe-oF™) technology. With the addition of new features designed to support cloud providers, KIOXIA’s KumoScale software suite enables next-generation, cost effective, private cloud deployments.
Developed to address the heightened demand for NVMe™ flash storage and the NVMe-oF framework that makes cloud-based disaggregation a reality, KumoScale software is a cloud-focused solution that delivers high-performance NVMe flash storage volumes via a virtual storage layer between clients and flash devices. It provides a central application programming interface (API) through which applications can request the resources needed, then dynamically provision and connect just the right amount of shared flash storage for each application instance. KumoScale software is NVMe-oF compliant and leverages the specification to deliver performance as if the NVMe SSDs were locally attached, and is one of the few storage fabric solutions that supports bare-metal, virtualized and Kubernetes® deployments on a wide range of industry-standard servers.
Enhancements to Version 3.14 include:
- Thin Provisioning: Thin provisioning allows storage resources to be easily allocated to servers, on a just-enough and just-in-time basis. KumoScale software’s thin-provisioned volumes allocate blocks of data on demand versus the traditional method of allocating all possible blocks to a client in advance. This eliminates almost all whitespace and increases storage utilization rates, which can often be as low as 10% using the traditional approach.
- Autonomous Self-Healing: KumoScale software’s volume self-healing mechanism automatically identifies and repairs data inconsistencies that may result from replica failures, including reconnection to the target or an incomplete replica deletion, without the need for monitoring and intervention by a system administrator.
- Network Resilience: KumoScale software clients use Linux® Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) and enhanced connections management to ensure consistent delivery of packets across all available network paths. KumoScale software targets use port bonding to ensure availability while maximizing total storage node throughput.
- Lights-out Storage Node Deployment: Preboot eXecution Environment (PXE) protocol support enables automated installation over a network in data center environments. PXE boot installation capability replaces the need for either a bootable device for the operating system or the need to use an ISO file on a DVD or USB device.
- Snapshots: Highly efficient snapshots for Kubernetes deployments via the Kubernetes CSI API, and directly via the REST API or CLI.
- Support for High-Performance CM6 Series SSDs: Full support for KIOXIA’s CM6 Series of PCIe 4.0 (1×4, 2×2) NVMe 1.4 enterprise SSDs. CM6 drives deliver best-in-class sequential and random performance of up to 6.9 gigabytes per second (GB/s) and up to 1.4M IOPS, benefiting applications such as databases, data analytics and artificial intelligence.
“KumoScale 3.14 rolls up an impressive list of advanced storage functionality and demonstrates our continued commitment to automating the deployment and management of NVMe flash storage, making it easier to adopt and less expensive to use,” said Joel Dedrick, vice president and general manager, networked storage software, KIOXIA America, Inc. “We’re delivering on our promise to help make high-performance NVMe flash the clear choice for mainstream data center storage.”
KumoScale™ software is a leading high-performance block storage software suite for on-premise clouds. Combining the speed and responsiveness of born-in-the-cloud software with the staying power of one of the world’s largest flash memory makers, KumoScale software uses NVMe™ technology to enable flash as a service.
About KIOXIA America, Inc.
KIOXIA America, Inc. (formerly Toshiba Memory America, Inc.) is the U.S.-based subsidiary of KIOXIA Corporation, a leading worldwide supplier of flash memory and solid state drives (SSDs). From the invention of flash memory to today’s breakthrough BiCS FLASH™ 3D technology, KIOXIA continues to pioneer cutting-edge memory solutions and services that enrich people’s lives and expand society’s horizons. The company’s innovative 3D flash memory technology, BiCS FLASH, is shaping the future of storage in high-density applications, including advanced smartphones, PCs, SSDs, automotive, and data centers. For more information, please visit KIOXIA.com.
© 2020 KIOXIA America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information in this press release, including product pricing and specifications, content of services, and contact information is current and believed to be accurate on the date of the announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice. Technical and application information contained here is subject to the most recent applicable KIOXIA product specifications.
NVM Express, NVMe and NVMe-oF are trademarks of NVM Express, Inc.
KUBERNETES® is a registered trademark of the Linux Foundation in the United States and other countries, and is used pursuant to a license from the Linux Foundation.
LINUX® is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
All company names, product names and service names may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Lages & Associates
Tel.: (949) 453-8080
KIOXIA America, Inc.
Tel.: (408) 526-3087