March US Travel Agency Air Ticket Sales Increase 82% Over February
March Net Sales Total Equals Largest Month-Over-Month Increase Since Summer 2020
ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing net sales from ARC-accredited travel agencies totaling $2.8 billion in March 2021, an 82% month-over-month increase compared to February’s net sales. This represents the third consecutive month of positive sales growth, and a 120% increase compared to March 2020.*
Month over month, March 2021 results showed:
- Total passenger trips increased 54%;
- U.S. domestic trips up 50%; and
- International trips up 66%.
“Our data shows leisure and online travel agency segments continuing to fuel the growth in airline ticket purchases,” said Chuck Thackston, managing director of data science and research at ARC. “Airlines are matching this demand by adding more leisure-focused routes while corporate travel remains suppressed.”
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in March 2021 increased 29% year over year, from 11,139,567 to 14,347,442. U.S. domestic trips were up 34% to 9.9 million, eclipsing February’s total passenger trips, while international trips were up 19% to 4.4 million YOY. The average U.S. round-trip ticket price increased from $377 in March 2020 to $382 in March 2021.
Year over year, EMD sales for March 2021 increased 43% to $5,794,680, while EMD transactions increased 127% to 125,280.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
As a leader in air travel intelligence and omnichannel retailing, ARC provides platforms, tools and insights that help the global travel community connect, grow and thrive. ARC enables the diverse retailing strategies of its customers by providing innovative technology, flexible settlement solutions and access to the world’s most comprehensive air transaction dataset. In 2019, ARC managed more than $97.4 billion in transactions between airlines and travel agencies, representing more than 302 million passenger trips. For more information, please visit arccorp.com.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending March 31, 2021, from 10,959 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.