October US Travel Agency Air Ticket Sales Continue Upward Trend
Monthly Sales Climbed 23%, Marking Fourth Consecutive Month of Growth
ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing net sales from ARC-accredited travel agencies totaling over $1.4 billion in October 2020, up from nearly $1.2 billion in September 2020.* October 2020 sales were down 83% compared to October 2019, but this marks the fourth consecutive month of air ticket sales growth as the industry continues recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Momentum in the recovery continues to fluctuate as rules change regularly in different U.S. states as well as other countries,” said Chuck Thackston, ARC’s managing director of data science. “We are encouraged by what we have seen over the past several months but understand that a full recovery will take time.”
Month over month, October 2020 results showed:
- A 7% increase in the total number of passenger trips;
- U.S. domestic trips up 3%; and
- International trips up 17%.
“Trips from the U.S. to the Caribbean and Mexico are fueling the increase in month-over-month international travel, while European and Asian travel originating from the U.S. remains low,” added Thackston.
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in October were down 68% year over year, from 25,396,442 to 8,145,750. U.S. domestic trips were down 65% to 5.7 million, while international trips totaled 2.4 million, a 73% decrease YOY. The average U.S. round-trip ticket price decreased from $506 in October 2019 to $377 in October 2020.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales and transactions increased month over month by 33% and 20%, respectively. Year over year, EMD sales for October decreased by 55% to $3,057,166, and EMD transactions were down 44% to 66,235.
More detailed information is available on ARC’s website.
As a leader in air travel intelligence and omnichannel retailing, ARC provides platforms, tools and insights that help the global travel community connect, grow and thrive. ARC enables the diverse retailing strategies of its customers by providing innovative technology, flexible settlement solutions and access to the world’s most comprehensive air transaction dataset. In 2019, ARC managed more than $97.4 billion in transactions between airlines and travel agencies, representing more than 302 million passenger trips. For more information, please visit arccorp.com.
Notes for Editors:
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending October 31, 2020, from 11,451 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. Domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all of the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
©2020 Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.